Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fire Diva at Artfire Interview - Theresa Ehlers of Tease Beads

What brought you and glass together?
I started beading in 2000, and a few years later I saw a lampworker featured on the That's Clever! show. I watched the show every day with hopes they would have more lampworkers on, and when they did, I couldn't tear my eyes from the screen. I was in awe! I knew it was one of those things I wanted to do but would never be able to. Me, melt glass? Yeah, right. Then I went into a local bead shop and they had lampworking intro classes advertised. I signed up immediately and as soon as I took the class I was hooked.



Tell us about your style?
I don't know if I really have a style. I like variety; I'll do florals, sculpt, use shards, murrini, frit...most of the time, I just wing it. I think the only real consistancy is that I rarely do sets; I prefer focals.

You can see more of Theresa's work at her Artfire Shop Teasebeads

Where do you see your work going in the next year?
I don't really have a vision of what I expect to happen in the next year. I can look back and see how much I have improved since I started lampworking, and my main goal is to continue improving and learning new techniques.

The next 5 years?
In about 4 years all three kids will be in school which will enable me to work daily (I only get weekends now). When that happens, I expect to see some dramatic improvements in ability and technique.

What is your one tip for being successful selling glass beads?
I don't know, I haven't gotten there yet! I think the main thing is to take good pictures. That is probably more difficult than lampworking - for me, anyway.

What is your one marketing tip for Artfire?
Join a Guild. It really helps to cross-promote.

No comments:

Post a Comment