Friday, July 8, 2011

Diva of the Month (Part 2): Rosemarie Hanus

Welcome back to our interview with Rosemarie. We did a lot of questions this time and I love Rose's insightful answers to all of these. I know you will too - and the beads are just great!

What attracted you to glass:

I have always been around a lot of glass. When I was little, we had glass plant shelves holding plants (imagine!) and numerous glass vases and figurines. As a young adult, I decided to take up making stained glass objects and did that as a hobby for several years. Later, I started to collect marbles and one day was inspired to try and find a marble making class. I found a bead making class that was running sooner so I took that instead; I have been winding glass for beads ever since.

Many glass artists have training in other art mediums. Do you?
If yes, please explain.


No training, just life experience. I learned a lot working with stained glass and then later turned to textiles. I spent many years making tapestries using a knitting machine.

Describe the first bead you made that you were really proud of?
Are you still proud of it now?


Can I do two? Absolutely! I was really proud of a sculpture princess that I made. I still love it. It was one of my first attempts at sculptural beads.

The other was an organic that I made for an online workshop run by Sylvie Lansdowne. The assignment was to make a bead to represent something emotional. I chose to make a bead about a really scary event where my son David, who was about 4 at the time, was swept away in a swift mountain stream. My oldest son Daniel, who fortunately was downstream, was able to grab and rescue him as he went by, so all turned out well. So, anyway, for the workshop I made this organic bead with blues and whites for the angry swirling water; it was a very emotional experience making that bead and I love how it turned out as well as what it represents.


What inspires you?

Color usually. I love layering colors to see what turns out.

Do you have a plan when you sit down to torch? Do you sketch
beads or have photos around for reference?


I usually have a torch plan; I have certain beads that I like to keep a good stock and when they sell, I need to replace them. I like to have them ready instead of making them as they are purchases.

I have not sketched many beads, but I did do some sketches for the recent Fire Divas challenge for Fairy Tales. I made a dragon; I liked how that bead turned out, so I plan on doing more sketches in the future.

Photography seems to be a key element for any glass artist. What
type of camera / lightbox set up do you use?


My camera is a Canon G9. I love this camera, it is small and lightweight, but has the capability to be operated in a fully manual mode as well as "point and shoot."

For my bead photography, I use a photo cube and two lights on each side.

Ignore the light on top - I don't use it. I clip the side lights onto the desk drawers and set the camera on the center drawer.



If the issue of finances (i.e. will it sell?) were of no consequence, what would you spend your time making?

Right now, it would be dragons like the one that I made for the Fairy Tales challenge. I have made 5 of them so far; here are 2.



What kind of jewelry do you wear? (Everyday vs. out on the town)

I hardly wear jewelry. I work at a computer most of the day - rings and bracelets get in the way. I also wear a lanyard for a badge and that covers any necklaces.

When not at work, I will wear bracelets with my "European charms" on them as well as chainmaille bracelets.

What is the one skill you wish came easier to you?

You mean glass. I wish I could make better raked beads. I saw a gorgeous raked vase in the Toledo Museum of Glass that was ancient and would love to make something like that. I get too impatient and get the glass too hot or timid and not hot enough.

What do you love about marketing your business? What’s the hardest part of marketing it?

The hardest part of marketing my artwork is knowing what is effective. I don't mind participating in various forum or social networks, but sometimes it would help to know what is actually working. I will notice spikes of views on my blog or shop and then wonder what I did to cause that. I've looked at the statistics in Google Analytics, but haven't made many conclusions about that either.


If you want to see more of Rosemarie's work don't forget you can use the handy and speedy links I'm putting here. And thank you Rose for the great interview and tips for all of Lampworkers and fans.

Rosemarie Hanus - Spawn of Flame (just click your favorite!):
Etsy, Art Fire, Twitter, and her Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment