Thursday, July 14, 2011

Diva of the Month (Part 3): Rosemarie Hanus

Welcome back everyone to the Diva of the Month shout out to our own Spawn of Flame - Rosemarie Hanus. I think Rose is a woman after my own heart since she's not the only one who stocks macaroni and cheese as a back up dinner plan. And I bet there are a lot of other artists who do - LOL. And she shops at Lush - holy cow - - - - I love their stuff. If you want to know more silly stuff about Rose then you're going to have to read on because this time she had to answer some very "telling" questions. Without a doubt you are going to like Rose as much as we do.

What is on your nightstand…list everything?
I don't have a nightstand, but I do have a shelf on my headboard, so I'll tell you what is there. A comb, jar of Lush Karma creme, several jewelry making books, a shoebox containing all of my electrical cords so they don't snarl up, several water bottles in various states of emptiness, a soup bowl to hold the latest cold water bottle so it doesn't sweat on the wood, and a bottle of BBQ sauce (? - can't explain that!)

If we were visiting, and starving and you weren’t home…what
could we find in your pantry / fridge to use to whip up a meal?

I don't know; I don't cook. Seriously. Maybe macaroni and cheese.

What is your favorite color and how does this show up in your bead work?
I have trouble identifying my favorite color, although I usually say that it is red. Sometimes lately, I think it might be orange, but there are some oranges I don't like, whereas I like most reds. My very favorite color might be this one highly saturated and elusive green color. I had souvenir doll that had sequins of that color when I was little... How's that for a non-answer?
Since I have a hard time choosing my favorite color, I think that shows in my work when I blend multiple colors together - not as in mixing them, but having two different colors that fade from one to the other. Here's an example - is it red or orange? It's actually several reds and an orange which I have allowed to run together.



Making beads is solitary work. How do you handle that??? If you
listen to music / watch videos, please share some of your playlist.

I like the quiet, so much of the time, I don't listen to anything.

I am somewhat of a sports junkie, so if there is a game on, I will listen to it. Football is the hardest to visualize, but baseball and basketball
- I can see those games clearly in my head just by listening.

Describe the most fun day you’ve ever had.
That is a really difficult, but I'd have to pick this one time that my husband and I went hiking in the Olympic forest to some hot springs. I had read in a local newspaper that there was skinny dipping allowed there, which sounded fun (in theory). So, we hiked several miles (in a soft, misty rain) and found the spot. I had pictured clean pools and rocks, but it very much not that. It was muddy with lots of, um, aging vegetation.

And, good grief, there were other people sort of nearby. Well we walked all that way and we decided if we didn't jump in, we would regret it later. I still can't believe that I sat in that soft, squishy pool of muddy water. We couldn't stop laughing and only lasted in the water for about a minute. We got out and realized we didn't have towels...

If you had one wish, what would it be???
I want people to stop fighting. Nations, neighbors ... all of it.

Who do you most admire in glass and if you could take a class
with that person, what would you most want to learn?

I admire so many of the artists that have formed the modern art glass movement that I couldn't possibly name them all, so I will dodge that question.


Dan Grumbling (in soft glass)and John Kobuki (in borosilicate), both make marbles with exquisite glass flowers. I would really love to take a class and learn how to do that.

Another great interview Rose and I can't believe how many things we have in common. I'm betting that fans and artists alike do too. Hey everyone - contact Rose and let her know what you have in common with her and check out her great work while you're visiting! You can click on Spawn of Flame in the first paragraph or go to her ArtFire, Etsy, or Twitter too.

No comments:

Post a Comment